« Back to previous page

Scoil Mhuire Lourdes, Girls Primary

Scoli Mhuire LourdesTullow

Principal: Mr Frank Murphy

Tel: 059 91 51875

email: tullowgns.ias@eircom.net

Brigidine Convent Primary School – Scoil Mhuire Lourdes

The first school was held in the newly built parish church. In 1826 the first official school house was built in the present study halls of the former boarding school block, the St. Joseph’s section. For a time there was a paying section and a free section for poorer children. In 1883, the Bishop, Most Rev. James Lynch purchased 5 acres from the Doyne estate. The present granite portion of the national school was built on this site and opened in 1888. The 1950’s saw the need for extra accommodation. While building was taking place the school transferred to the Capt. Murphy Memorial Hall. The sight of the nuns walking down town was unusual in those days and caused much comment. The renovated and extended school was opened on 11th Novenber 1956 by the Minister for Education, Gen. Richard Mulcahy T.D. It was blessed and dedicated as Scoil Mhuire Lourdes by Most Rev. Dr. Keogh, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin. Sr. Francesca Power is the last Brigidine to serve as Principal.

Tullow Parish, Co Carlow | Tel : 059 915 1277 | Fax : 059 915 1624 | Email : tullowparish@eircom.net
Copyright 2009 Tullow Parish All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Parish Websites, Design by acton|web