« Back to previous page

Grange

Mass times for Church of St John the Baptist, Grange


Sundays: Grange – 9 a.m.


grange-altarChurch of St John the Baptist, Grange

Grange (Grainseach, a Monastic Granary – Irish word borrowed from Latin “Granaria”)

The present Church in Grange dates back to 1822.  It’s style is Barn Type- Rectangular. When Fr. Patrick Keogh, Administrator Tullow Parish, renovated the Church, in the 1980’s the work cost £80,000 while the original Church cost £100.

In 1148 the Cistercians founded Baltinglass Abbey. The estate headquarters in Baltinglass was known as the Abbey Demesne, and out-farms were known as “Granges”

The Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem staffed the churches of Killerig and Friarstown from the end of the 12th Century.

The site for the present church was secured in 1821, and a thatched church 57′x25′ was constructed.

Tullow Parish, Co Carlow | Tel : 059 915 1277 | Fax : 059 915 1624 | Email : tullowparish@eircom.net
Copyright 2009 Tullow Parish All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Parish Websites, Design by acton|web